Some of my favorite mac freeware *
- Adium – multi-protocol instant messaging client
- Butler – application launcher with many other handy features
- Camino – mac-like gecko browser. not as many features as firefox, but faster.
- ClamAV – Antivirus program, because you just never know…
- Colloquy – GUI IRC client
- ColorTagGen – Use the eyedropper to get fast hex color codes. This little app rocks!
- Dashboard KickStart – brings up the dashboard for a second at startup so that you don’t have to wait for it to load the first time you use it.
- Firefox – I Firefox
- MAMP – Mac, Apache, MySQL, PHP server environment in an easy to install, easy to use package. Includes Apache v2.0.x, phpMyAdmin, MySQL v5.0.x, PHP v4.4.x and v5.1.x, and more.
- NeoOffice – Mac version of OpenOffice (OO also works on a mac). No need for X11 with Neo. Prettier than OO.
- Onyx – tweaking, maintenance, etc.
- Quicksilver – similar to Butler, only geekier. I use it on my powerbook. I find Butler’s interface a little more intuitive.
- Smell-O-Mints – Periodic table with some nice features
- TextWrangler – I actually use BBedit, but TextWrangler is an excellent free text editor that does much of what BBedit does so I have to mention it here.
- Transmission – BitTorrent Client
- Image Shackle – fast easy way to resize images. Just drag the image to the widget, set a size, and click ‘shackle’ for a copy of your image at the specified size. I love this widget!
- Panda Cam – live feed from the San Diego Zoo’s Panda Cam
- PHP function reference (PHPfr) – comprehensive PHP reference
- iStat Pro – system monitoring widget
There is a great list which includes many of the programs mentioned above (and many that aren’t) at xfreeware.com.
Anyone else have any favorite mac freeware? Please share…
*I am using the word freeware because payment is not required to use these apps with all features enabled and without a time limit. Many of the programmers accept donations to compensate them for their time and effort. If you can afford it and use the program regularly, please consider donating 🙂